Saturday, October 20, 2012

Last Express on iOS


Amused to see that they ported The Last Express to iOS. This was my first fulltime paying job after art school and really some of the funnest days in my life. 2 shifts of 4-6 animators packed into a small room rotoscoping characters 5-7 days a week. I had the night shift (4pm-12am) and became good friends with Dreamworks Consumer Products Legend; Lawrence Hamashima. Im pretty sure we were using a mouse to clean and paint all the frames, which from the comfort of my Cintiq, I find hard to imagine doing. Jordan was already pretty famous from his original Prince of Persia and for the time the entire project was really innovative and smart- and felt sort of like a punk-rock-do-whatever-you-gotta-do-to-get-it-done little studio on the edge of Telegraph Hill in pre dot com San Francisco. Ahh man, best of times, best of times. By far my favorite character I was assigned to animate was Kahina, who was Kronos's female bodyguard. Check her out! So cool. I could go on and on about those days but perhaps thats better left for a different post.


4 comments:

veruncheek said...

I would love to read more of your "The Last Express" memories, as I am a big fan of this game for 15 years... Incredible piece of art (you did amazing job!) that is now slowly finding its deserved recognition.

Shifty said...

Ian,

First off, I'm always flattered to get a shout out from you.

I am so glad that your feelings about our times at Smoking Car were so positive. Wow, I think we could write a novel about our experiences back then, haha...

Hate to break it to you, but we had Wacom tablets back then too...

enb said...

No way dude, I didn't use a wacom until after smoking car- my first time was at mondomedia/mechadeus.
Don't you remember Dennis clicking away like crazy on the mouse selecting out masks for the backgrounds?
If you're sure I'll take your word for it but I definitely remember trying them out for the first time after smoking car.

Shifty said...

Ugh...i'm not so sure anymore...i vaguely remember trying to sketch via wacom tablet in the office. Man, I haven't thought of Dennis in ages...